Saturday, September 22, 2007

Supper at Granon

The sleeping area of the albergue consists of mattresses on the floor of the attic in the village church. The attic leads via a door to the roof space of the church where you can wash and dry clothes. Below, there is a comfortable sitting area.

The night I stayed here Arturo, the hospitalero, and a couple of helpers prepared a wonderful communal meal for us all. After the meal there were prayers in the church for those who wanted to attend.

The setting itself is relaxing and evocative of a past era of pilgrimage.

However, the reason I mention this albergue is because of the kindness and sense of vocation shown by Arturo and his helpers.

“Remember us in Santiago”, said Arturo as I thanked him when I left in the morning.

Many days later I knelt in the great Cathedral, in the midst of hundreds of fellow pilgrims, washed in the music of the noon Mass, and remembered Arturo.

No comments: