Saturday, September 22, 2007

So Why Did I Walk the Pilgrim Trail?

In the course of our lives, as on the pilgrimage itself, we arrive at many forks along the way. Choices have to be made.
Often the choice is easy, familiar and entails low risk: do I choose the blue shirt or the green one? But occasionally we are confronted with difficult choices, whose outcome cannot be certain, and where the risk may be great: should I quit my job?
One of the abiding lessons of my pilgrimage is that it is usually better to choose the difficult way; to walk upon a thin, stony track through the unknown forest of life’s course, rather than to tread easily along grassy paths through, verdant meadows.
The rewards of the difficult, uncertain way (though scary) are often greater than the easy rewards of familiar habits.

No comments: